Wetu brings us together, connecting and unifying us through fabric sculptures, dolls, stories, and poetry, symbolizing power and resilience. Experience art rooted in African femininity, healing, and hope.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Melt the snow
I met this man who questioned the way I looked
Brought me shame at my game, lamely brought my picture down its frame
And everything I did was a strike on his hedge
Shamelessly he pushed me to the edge
His words sliced deep into the flesh
Like he used the samurai’s sword
My confidence he raped… press back rewind I let him play me like a tape
And I let him hurt me
I met this woman who made me feel less
Red head she called me and placed me in her small kit, misfit she said
Keen he was to my lace underneath
Invaded my space, always stuck on my case
Her words louder than bombs left me devastated
Chemicals filling my lungs and my mind with murderous and suicidal thoughts
My confidence she raped… press back rewind I let her play me like a tape
And I let her hurt me
I met this person
Who looked back and smiled…
She looked as radiant as the morning star
Her eyes had dried up from crying
She was like a fresh breeze, like a beautiful song with beautiful words
And had such charm and personality
She said, I wonder why it took you so long to look at me…
Because, you are beautiful and because I love you
She leaned forward to hug me… but the mirror stopped us
And I let her be me
© Namatsi Lukoye
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The girl the world turned from - Owefu Part 3
The Girl the World Turned From Ayuna (not her real name) is a girl with a golden smile. She shakes my hand and sits next to me smiling she d...
-
In celebration of Women, I join 7 women to portray different types of stereotypes and women in a Play called:- Edge of Womanhood which will ...
-
I pity you, Little woman I see you running down the streets I see you know the wonders of make up Are you flaunting or hiding something?...
-
There is something strange about your eyes... They pull me too much: and I really like the stare That dirty little look! like you know wh...
No comments:
Post a Comment